Saturday, April 28, 2012

April 27, 2012

Today was a travel day, very long, very tiring.  I made it through London to Amsterdam where I'm to connect with my river boat to start my river cruise.  I made it just fine, but sadly my big suitcase is still in London.  It is supposed to arrive tomorrow sometime.  The best sentence right now in the paper work from the cruise company - give them my lost luggage report and they will track it down.  Supposedly it will be on a Saturday flight to Amsterdam.

It was a short connection at London City Airport, which is a small airport and I thought how easy.  WRONG!  Had to go through Border Control (didn't have to do that at Heathrow if you were going to connecting flight), then of course both trays of my carry on luggage had to be inspected.  Boarding light is flashing for my gate, which of course was almost the last gate at the other end of the airport (at that moment it didn't seem so small).  LOVE LOVE LOVE the staff of British Airways, they made sure I got to the right place and I learned (this is Europe, not just British Airways) that they don't leave until they account for every person who has luggage on the plane.  If you aren't there, they call you individually.  If you don't show in a reasonable amount of time, they take your lugguage off the plane.  Turns out I had time to spare.

Other than they didn't get my luggage transferred in London (in all fareness, I barely got me tranferred) they have been awesome to fly with.  Thanks to points, I've flown Club Europe on all the flights, which means free alcohol, a light meal or high tea, great service.  This inter continental flights crack me up.  The seats are the same as everyone elses, the difference is they draw a curtain then feed us.

I have met two couples, one from Australia and one from New Zealand, who "adopted me" while we travelling to be sure I got where I needed to be.  They were just delightful.  I met a young man who works in a bank in Qatar and it was fascinating to hear about banking in the Middle East.


No comments:

Post a Comment