Tuesday, April 10, 2012

London

Today was a travel day.  It cracks me up, the landlord made such big deal about leaving the apartment clean when I checked out, then showed up, said he was busy, gave me my deposit and was gone.  My cab came and took me to the train station.

So my sister had told me stories about riding the train and of course being the worrier I am stressed over it all.  I ran into a nice couple from Australia who let me follow them as we made our way to the train.  

It was interesting, first they checked our tickets in.  Then they checked our passport to board.  Then we went to passport control and finally to UK border control.  Finally went through security where we did not have to take our shoes off and to the area to wait.

Typical of me, I was an hour earlier than they said we needed to be, but based on the lines, I am glad I was.  Two of the doors that accessed passport control were broken so it was like taking a four lane highway down to one lane plus there was another train checking in that left before ours.  It turned out being early was a good choice, I was down on the track within minutes of them calling our train and the plus of that was no one was behind me while I put my suitcase on and I could put it on the botton shelf so no more lifting.

Much to my surprise, I apparently booked first class.  I had a single seat with a nice big window.  Also I discovered we were served a meal on china.  We had cold sliced beef (nice and rare) potatoe salad, bread and these amazing petit fours, our choice of beverages (bar included) and very hot, strong coffee to finish.  Not that I realized the choice I was making, but glad I made it when I bought my ticket online.

Poured rain all the way to the chunnel.  Came out of the chunnel to sunshine.  It was a short trek to St Pancras, the train station.  Followed the crowd out and got one of the those black taxi cabs you always see on TV.  Where virtually no one talked to me in Paris, my driver talked the entire way.  A delightful gentleman my age, maybe a little older.  I now know about his wife, daughters, grandson who was coming to stay with, their trip to the Red Sea, their planned trip to the zoo, the Olympics and UK taxes.  After the silent treatment in Paris, I just loved chatting with him.

I am at my "self catering" apartment in West Kensington.  I posted a picture of it in on one of my first posts, but they did not portray it's charm.  And they included all the nice touches missing in Paris.  Chilled water in the fridge, a welcome basket of teas, coffees, condiments (including milk in a tube) and raspberry short breads.  Where the Paris apartment had virtually nothing (I left it nicely stocked for the next person) this apartment also has soaps and shampoos and extra towels.

I'm in West Kensington in a pretty residential area.  A block away is a fish and chips place, I think their equivalent to KFC, a Thai place and Tesca Express, a small grocery store owned by Tesca which seems to have banks, insurance, pet insurance and a long list of other services besides grocery stores.  I had my first encounter with a pin and chip machine for my credit card and after a couple of tries (and a very nice clerk) finally got it to work.  Gathered up my groceries to discover it was pouring rain.  So I was soaked by time I got back - just in time to meet the plumber who was there to replace the faucets in my bath.  So I had the plumber and the owner's son in and out of the room and an extra trip to the hardware store (I think that is a requirement for any plumbing/elecrical job) thrown in so at about 7:45 everyone is now gone, I have water again and I just turned on the heater because it is SO cold - humid cold - at home probably wouldn't bother me at all.

So that has me current.  I have found a Mail Boxes Etc just a short ride on the subway away (at least that is what Google says) and two doors down from that is supposed to be a Starbucks.  So that is how I plan to start my day tomorrow, send a box home, drink a Starbucks and see what London has to hold.

No comments:

Post a Comment