Saturday, April 28, 2012

Madrid April 21 - April 27, 2012

Madrid was wonderful.  My apartment, which was just as amazing in person as it was on the web, was close to everything I wanted to do.  As it turns out, I was just two blocks from where I caught my hop on hop off bus.  The city is more contemporary than Paris (architecturally) and than the places we visited in England (except London of course).  I included a sampling of pictures.  I think there was a Starbucks and a bank on every block, it was crazy.

1 Gran Via, street near apartment
2 Puerta de Atocha train station, Madrid
3 Cit Hall, Madrid
4 National Bank of Espana
5 and 6 Futbol Stadium. They used to have 100,000 attend games but seats for 70,000 which created safety issues.  Have reduced number allowed in the stadium to 70,000.  Wednesday night when I was returning from the train station, police were lined up near the stadium.  Madrid was playing at home and if they won, the fans filled the street to celebrate.  If they lost (which they did) they go home.  
7 Plaza Mayor.  Wonderful square in Madrid with apartments and stores and markets and all kinds of open are restaurants.
8 Lion King in Spanish.  My apartment was in the heart of the theatre district, so it was like being by Denver Performing arts with that same electricity downtown Denver has.  I walked by a theatre on the way to the Gran Via and often the doors were open to back of the stage with the stage hands outside working to get ready for the next show.  Once night folks were lined up by the back door I assume to see cast members (looked familiar since we have done that ourselves)
9 and 10 Sangria and Paella Mixta at a restaurant in Plaza Mayor.
11 Street performer, Plaza Mayor.  Not sure how he/she did it, but it was fun to watch.













1 comment: